This 5-minute quickstart guide will set you up with everything needed to start developing on the Oasis Devnet.
Step 1: Install Wallet
To get started you will need an Ethereum wallet such as MetaMask or Mist. The wallet will store your Oasis Devnet tokens, which you will use to pay transaction fees for smart contracts.
The instructions below are for MetaMask but these instructions can be adapted to other wallets.
- Install MetaMask for Chrome or Firefox
- After installing, click Accept for all the EULAs and proceed to creating a new DEN
- Be sure to write down your secret phrase, since you'll need it for the tutorials
Configure MetaMask for Oasis Devnet
- Click on the the MetaMask (fox) icon in your browser to view the MetaMask overlay. In the overlay, click on the colorful circle in the top right and select Settings
- Scroll down to the New Network section and click Show Advanced Options
- Fill in the values below then click Save (Screenshot)
Step 2: Get Devnet Tokens
To request Oasis Devnet tokens (DEV), visit the Oasis faucet at https://faucet.oasiscloud.io.
DEV tokens have no value. They can only be used on the Oasis Devnet and will not transfer to Oasis mainnet.
You will need to provide a few fields, including your wallet address and email address. After filling in the fields, click Fund me! and select your requested amount of tokens. You will receive a confirmation email allowing you to complete funding your wallet.
- Your Wallet Address is the hex string under your account name in the MetaMask UI. Click on the account to copy the address to the clipboard.
- You must provide a valid email address. This information will be used only for internal tracking and to contact you if there are issues with your account.
- If you need more tokens than provided by the faucet, please email [email protected].
Step 3: Install Oasis Contract Kit
The Oasis Contract Kit is a development environment allowing you to build, test, and deploy smart contracts written in Solidity or Rust. We highly recommend you use the Contract Kit for development.
Install Contract Kit
- Install Docker if you don't have it already. You can download Docker here.
- Download the Contract Kit docker image:
docker pull oasislabs/contract-kit
You can launch the Contract Kit from a project directory with
$ docker run -ti --rm -v "$PWD":/project oasislabs/contract-kit bash
For more information, see the Oasis Contract Kit documentation.
Step 4: Start Building
Congratulations! You're now ready to build DApps on Oasis Devnet.
Note about rate limiting
The Oasis Devnet currently enforces a rate limit to prevent spamming and ensure a high quality experience for developers. If your transactions fail, please reduce the rate of your requests or wait a little while before trying again. If these limits are causing an issue for your DApp, please contact [email protected].
The Oasis Devnet provides a number of tools and resources to help with DApp development. Here are some important links:
|Status dashboard||https://oasislabs.statuspage.io||View network status and downtime|
|Block explorer||https://blockexplorer.oasiscloud.io||View transactions on Devnet|
|Issue tracker||https://www.github.com/oasislabs/devnet-issues/issues||Submit bug reports and feature requests|
Want a guided tour of how to get started? Check out our video tutorial.
Ready to start building?
Here are some tutorials to get started: